International Students

international-studentsThe Canadian Institute of Learning welcomes students from around the world. Interested international students can email the registrar’s office at to request for an application form. Upon receiving and completing the application form, send it by fax to us at +1 (905) 874-3312 or email

Upon approval of your application by Canadian Institute of Learning for a program of study, the student should apply for a student authorization at the nearest Canadian diplomatic mission. For expedient processing, it is recommended that applications be filed at least three months prior to the commencement of classes. For nationals of some countries, visitor visas are also required; these are issued at the same time as the student authorization. In order to apply for a student authorization, you need the following documents:

  • A valid passport
  • An original letter of acceptance from a university, college or other institution.
  • Evidence of adequate funds to cover tuition and living costs for you and your dependents, including return transportation.

If applicable, a letter from your sponsor may be required. A letter of reference from a dependable person in your community will help. There is a processing charge for the student authorization, but there is no fee for the visa when it is issued with student authorization. Sometimes a personal interview with a visa officer may be required, in which case you should provide any documentation which might be useful as a demonstration of strong ties to your country of origin. Under no circumstance should a student come to Canada without a valid student authorization (and visa if required).

Getting Approval

Depending on your country of origin and the type and length of study, you may require:

  • a visa
  • a student authorization
  • both a student authorization and visa
  • or, none of the above

The type of documentation required depends on your country of origin, the program you are taking, and the length of your study.

NOTE: A visa may be required depending on your country of origin. Please see the list of countries that require a visitor’s visa as provided by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

More information on the process of applying for a student visa is available on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s web site.


You should plan ahead before applying to study in Canada. Find out what you need to do before applying.


Find out more about Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s (CIC) role in helping students come to Canada.
For more information, contact us at (905) 874-3311 or